Becoming an Educator – what qualifications are needed for roles in Childcare?

  • Assistant Educators generally have a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care.
  • Qualified Educators require a Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care.
  • Team Leaders and Coordinators need a Diploma qualification and experience.
  • Completing a Diploma qualification provides pathway to University and continued studies to graduate as an Early Childhood Teacher.

Certificate 111 and Diploma qualifications can be obtained through full time, part time and online studies. Enrolment and working towards completion of a Certificate 111 can lead to employment as an Assistant Educator. Completion of Certificate 111 and enrolment in a Diploma course can lead to employment as a Qualified Educator.

Benefits of training and working with REED

You’ll be contributing to the development and future wellbeing in the important early years of children’s lives. It’s now very well known that ‘getting it right’ in the early years vitally important for children to thrive in school and their adult lives.

REED is committed to keeping people in our country communities, living and working in our Wheatbelt towns. This is why REED will be offering traineeships for Certificate III and Diploma qualifications.

This means, you can work and study at the same time, pay reduced fees, receive on the job experience and great support from our Educators who have worked in childcare for many years and have a wealth of knowledge and experience.

View our recruitment  brochures for Child Care Worker and Family Day Care.

Current Vacancies: 

  • Part Time Team Leader at REED Hyden
  • Fulltime Early Childhood Teacher at REED Narrogin
  • Part Time Qualified Educator at REED Quairading
  • Part Time Qualified Educator at REED Cunderdin
  • Part Time Assistant Educator at REED Brookton
  • Casual Assistant Educators at REED Dowerin
  • Casual Pool Staff Qualified Educators

Click on links below to read Job Descriptions.

Early Childhood Teacher

Qualified Educator

Assistant Educator

For more information on the above vacancies, or to submit an application please email Steven Sizer or phone 08 6832 3825.

REED is also looking for Dedicated Retired Early Childhood Teachers and Workers who enjoy travelling in Regional WA.  

REED is offering active, fit, recently retired Early Childhood Teachers and Early Childhood Workers who enjoy working with young children and their families a rewarding opportunity to combine an exploration of the Wheatbelt region while contributing to the development of young children and the social and economic wellbeing of families and communities.

It’s also quite likely that there are ‘hidden’ ECEC qualified people living in the Wheatbelt who’ve not worked for a while as early childhood educators and might like to register for the pool of casual or relief staff.

Retirees, including ‘Grey Nomads’, and the ‘hidden’ ECEC qualified people are invited to register interest in joining a casual staff pool being established to fill positions that become available from time to time.

REED Centres range in size from 12 places to 59 places, so there’s ample opportunity to work with small groups of children and their families in friendly, rural communities throughout the Wheatbelt and Mid West.

You need

  • a Bachelor of Early Childhood degree or equivalent approved by ACECQA


  • Diploma or Certificate 111 in Children’s Service or Early Childhood Education and Care, or be working towards a Diploma or Certificate


  • Current Working with Children Check or willingness to apply for a Working with Children Check
  • First Aid, Anaphylaxis & Asthma training or willingness to complete training.

Familiarity with the Early Years Learning Framework and National Quality Standard is preferable, or willingness to do some background reading which will be provided when you’re accepted as a member of the pool. And you’ll need to be a great communicator who likes working in a small team environment.

You can register for short or long term, full time or part time relief positions in a specific location or any REED location. In a part time position you’ll have plenty of time to explore surrounding countryside, and enjoy the social environment offered by small regional towns.

REED offers the opportunity for paid employment under Children’s Services Award conditions. You should seek advice regarding any impact of paid employment on superannuation, pension and benefit entitlements. Alternatively, you may prefer to work in a voluntary capacity and be reimbursed for an agreed level of expenses.

People with or without their own caravan accommodation are invited to register interest.

To apply for a position please register your interest by emailing this completed form to:   For more information about this opportunity please phone Philippa on 0402 017 424.